ChicaReader

Persistence of Memory - Amelia Atwater-Rhodes How refreshing. Somehow I managed not to skim more than three pages on this one. I think because, it was to interesting to accidently skip a detail of importance. As I told Alea from Pop Culture Junkie on a Twitter message, "it reminds me somewhat of The Host." Which seems, frankly, I was wrong about. Admittedly, the alternations in reality taken in stride are very comparable; but that has more to do with the concept of the book, not the background details, or the characters for that matter.
What's refreshing is that this specificpassage has somewhat of less,well--censor warning!--bullshit than most novels. I'm not saying this one's any better than the rest, in fact, it lacks a bit emotionally; but it does not "kid-around", "beat around the bush", whatever you want to call it. There are different species--such as vampires, shapeshifters, and "Triste" witches--in this fantasy novel, but the author gives it plain out, albeit a bit subtly, what their abilities are.
Artistically, this novel is pure poetry, I would say; despite the preference of Edgar Allan Poe's "A Dream Within A Dream"--which is one of my favorites, btw, andmakes perfect sense to this particular context--right before the Prologue. Her specific subtle details make you image every blade of grass to the shade of a character's hair color.
I gives this masterpiece a: B+, partly because I was lost at times but found my way back to the plot at hand in the end. Time to hunt. Time to run.

Emma